Saturday, October 9, 2010

Nobody Belongs Here More Than You - Miranda July

"Do you have doubts about life? Are you unsure if it is really worth the trouble? Look at the sky: that is for you. Look at each person's face as you pass them on the street: those faces are for you. And the street itself, and the ground under the street, and the ball of fire underneath the ground: all these things are for you. They are as much for you as they are for other people. Remember this when you wake up in the morning and think you have nothing. Stand up and face the east. Now praise the sky and praise the light within each person under the sky. It's okay to be unsure. But praise, praise, praise."

Let me start off by saying that people who don't appreciate life upset me.
Now let me state that I often don't appreciate life.

This is one of the most beautiful, simplistic passages I've ever read. When I live my day-to-day, monotonous life; it is ideas like this that give me strength to push through all the trials and tribulations. On any plain and ordinary day, a quote like this should bring you to tears. If it doesn't (and this just may be my own overexaggerated opinion), you surely don't have a soul. The truth is that this world is made for you, just as much as it's made for me. When you think you have nothing, you actually have so much of something that it's almost impossible to comprehend. Even the least fortunate of us are fortunate somehow. Just look at the sky and the trees and the birds and the chemistry and science of the world and how perfectly and magically and miraculously well its tiny puzzle pieces fit together. I'm not religious by any means, but we are blessed. If anything, the world should be our religion. After all, what is more real than that?

2 comments:

  1. I love this. It's hard to realize during those moments when we lose all we have or bear great sadness under our fake smiles that we have everything we need and more. We have countless opportunities ahead of us. We our surrounded by beauty every single second of the day. If each and everyone of us wrote down how God blessed their lives every single day, happiness would be bubbling from our souls. It would explode from our holy o-zone layer and seep into the atmosphere. It would consume our thoughts and actions if we but stop for a moment to appreciate the little things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. {Better late than never, eh?}

    I can be deeply cynical, and more often than not, I don't think that life is sacred. I know too much about evolution to think that every life is so precious. On the other hand, we are so easily destroyed, that it is a kind of miracle that we're alive and able to experience the things we are. And to me, that is something to celebrate.

    ReplyDelete